Alaska Geographic-NPS Reception
May 30 @ 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Attendees: NPS staff, Alaska Geographic Board, Founders’ Council, staff, and spouses
5:00 pm in the MSLC lobby: Denali Education Welcome & brief MSLC overview (Sierra McLane and David)
- Introductions and breaking into subgroups led by Denali Education Staff (AKGeo and NPS staff)
- Announce options for Friday morning hike and need to sign up.
5:10 – 6:00 pm: In small breakout groups everyone partakes in 2-4 of the following possible round-robin activities, ~10m at each location:
- Tour of the area of the MSLC housing project
- Educational activity1 – investigation of permafrost (including ground probing)
- Educational activity2 – introduction to wolf ecology and radio-telemetry
- Educational activity3 – insect survey activity/lab (this may be developed as a all-evening self-service lab activity in the MSLC)
- Retail activity1 – at MSLC front desk Vern/Rachel showcase our switch to the Square POS service -everyone tries it out.
6:00 pm: Return to MSLC, bathroom break, start appetizers and drinks
6:15 or 6:30 pm: AKGeo and NPS Welcome (Andy and Don Striker). –Reminder to sign up for a Friday morning hike if interested.
- End welcome with a small group breakout activity sharing something they have learned about AKGeo retail or education in Denali that resonated, and/or share your role in fostering good partnerships.
6:30: appetizers, desserts, drinks and socializing
- We will have many Artist in Residence pieces on display in the classroom
- We can have a slide show auto-playing in the classroom as well.
7:00 pm: folks wanting more formal dinner depart, others welcome to linger until 7:30