Thank you for helping Alaska Geographic and our partners recruit students for this summer’s Youth Expedition programs. We need your assistance to reach students who will benefit most from these life-changing experiences.
This summer, middle school and high school students from around Alaska will be selected to join one of these exciting learning adventures across Alaska. These multiday wilderness experiences are designed for students who have not had similar opportunities but who will excel when given the chance. All students receive a complete tuition scholarship. Participants will spend time with Rangers, get hands-on experience with volunteer stewardship projects and scientific monitoring, learn wilderness recreation skills, meet other teens from around Alaska, and develop their leadership skills.
Who is eligible?
We recruit students who meet some or most of these criteria:
- Show high potential in leadership, science, or outdoor skills and will be excited about this opportunity.
- Are from a small Alaskan community (Anchorage students are accepted depending on expedition).
- Identify with a minority or Alaska Native people group.
- Meet physical and grade-level requirements for each trip.
- Will be respectful of the other participants and adults (forest rangers, trip leaders).
How to nominate a student
- Send the attached Student Application form to students you would like to nominate.
- Collect the student application form back from each student via paper or electronically. As the nominator, please help the student as necessary to complete and turn in the form on time.
- Send the included Nomination Form for each student explaining how the student meets the criteria (see below for details) and each student’s application to Alaska Geographic. Applications will be processed on a rolling basis starting March 9th, 2018. Once students are nominated and submit an application, we will prioritize participants by those who meet the criteria and by their availability. Accepted students will be contacted in early April. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that everyone who applies will be able to participate. We will keep an active waiting list in case spots open up.